Where in the World are Volcanoes?
Why do volcanoes exist in certain parts of the world and not others? Learn about the role of plate tectonics and build your own plate tectonic model!
Grades: K-5 (learners of all ages are welcome!)
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- For this activity you will need two separate sets of supplies. You can follow along or do the experiment along with us for either or both examples.
|SUPPLY SET 1
- Ice cubes: at least 2 ice cubes OR 2 large frozen bowls of ice
- At least 2 different colors of food coloring
- 2 large bowls (to put ice inside)
- 2 small cups for mixing saltwater and pouring
- 2 spoons for mixing
- Paper towels
|SUPPLY SET 2
- Coloring supplies (markers are best)
- String (at least 4 feet long)
- Sponge (if you have one)
- Red tissue paper and/or cotton ball (if you have one)
- View or print this worksheet to help you build your subduction zone model.
- Click on the YouTube video below to join us for an activity.
- Complete a weekly challenge (or both) at home or in your neighborhood.
- Use the form at the bottom of this page to..
- Send us your questions and
- Send us photos, videos, or your other creations!
We are excited to hear from you!
Keep scrolling down to send us your questions and your weekly challenge creations! You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.