Private Family Adventures
Roll up your sleeves, strap on your boots and join us in the field as we conduct hands-on investigation and model real-world science practices to learn about the science and stories of Mount St. Helens. Our Private Family Adventures are designed to inspire curiosity about the outdoors and a deeper understanding of the volcanic landscape of Mount St. Helens for learners of all ages. Private Family Adventures are led by our trained education staff who have a passion for teaching about volcanoes and science. We look forward to an unforgettable adventure with you and your family!
- Explore a unique side of Mount St. Helens during the winter months with guided trips with your family or pod. Put on your scientist hat and warm gloves as we step into the winter world. Through hands-on investigation, we will explore the science of winter weather and learn about the plants, animals and people that thrive in this special season. Depending on the weather and snow conditions, winter adventures may include snowshoeing or wintry hiking on trails on the south side of the volcano. Destinations may include trails around Ape Cave or June Lake.
*More Private Family Adventures will become available in the spring and summer! Check back here later or sign up for our email list to get updates!
- Dates for winter programs
- February 20
- February 27
- March 6
- March 13
- March 20
- March 27
- Duration: Both 3-hour and 6-hour programs are available. Both programs include hands-on activities. The 6-hour program includes a longer hike, a lunch break and visits to extra field sites.
- Maximum Group Size: 10 people
- Optional Meeting Locations: Trail of Two Forests or Marble Mountain SnoPark
- Distance and terrain: We will explore both on hiking trails and off-trail in forested terrain. Depending on the amount of snow, we may or may not use snowshoes. The distance we hike will depend on the comfort of the participants, the amount of snow, and the terrain. We will determine the distance and difficulty of the terrain of our adventure based on your group's needs. We may go half a mile or we may travel up to 4 miles.
- Permits: Families will need to provide a Washington State SnoPark Pass.
- Availability: February through March
|Number of People in Group
|6-hour program Price per Person
|3-hour program Price per Person
Optional Add-ons: Trekking Poles - $10, Snowshoes - $15, per person. You can sign up to rent equipment in the registration form.
Click here to view our Program Policies.
To receive the latest updates about our education programs click here to join our email "Learning List."