“One of the reasons I chose to volunteer at Mount St. Helens was my connection to the land. My great-grandparents had a cabin near Ariel, and I spent a lot of time there as a child. The first place I volunteered at was Ape Cave—a place I had visited a hundred times as a child. So it was meaningful to me to help improve it.”
- Katherine Bilyeu, MSHI Conservation Corps & Mountain Steward Volunteer
We love Mount St. Helens, and want to make sure that the mountain is accessible and healthy for those who visit the Mountain today, as well as 20 or 50 years from now. Conservation corps volunteers help us achieve this goal by volunteering for a variety of projects, some of which include: trail maintenance, invasive weed removal, building upkeep, habitat restoration, and more.
Learn more about this volunteer role and the requirements for this position by reviewing the assignment description.
Upcoming Trail Work Projects on the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument:
The Mount St. Helens Institute partners with the Washington Trails Association (WTA) and the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument to offer a variety of trail work opportunities for people of all skill levels and availability. Sign up for individual work parties at the direct links below, or view all upcoming opportunities here.
May 22nd-25th: Kalama Horse Camp with Back Country Horsemen of Washington
- 4 days of work based out of Kalama Horse Camp, with dinner provided every evening by the Back Country Horsemen. Sign up for a single day, or come for the whole time!
- Sign up for each day individually: May 22nd, 23rd, 24th, and 25th
June 1st-2nd: Weekend work party for National Trails Day at Hummocks and Elk Bench Trails
- Come for one or both days! Camp at the MSHI bunkhouse and join us for a potluck on Saturday evening.
June 19th-20th: Backcountry Response Team along the Lakes Trail
- We'll be camping out for two nights along the Lakes Trail and working to clear the trail corridor. Bring all your own camping gear and food, and don't miss out on this chance to camp in the Mount Margaret Backcountry!
July 13th-14th: Weekend work party on the Truman Trail
- Join us for one day or both to work on this fantastic trail right on the shoulder of Mount St Helens. Campout potluck on Saturday!
July 31st – August 4th: Backcountry Response Team at Deadman's Lake
- Join a massive trailwork effort to clean up the Goat Mountain area, a beautiful but often overlooked part of the Monument. Camp by Deadman's Lake and spend the days fixing the trail.
August 3rd-4th: Weekend work party at Butte Camp
- Join us for one day or both; camping is available and everyone's invited to a Saturday campout potluck!
September 12th-15th: Work party at Harmony Trail
- Join us to restore the Harmony trail and falls viewpoint. You're invited to join us for one or more days as we tackle brushing, treadwork and camp under the stars at the MSHI Field Science Camp.
Do you have further questions about being a Conservation Corps Volunteer? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.