Apply to be a GeoGirl
GeoGirls is a geology and technology field camp for middle school girls graduating from 7th and 8th grade. It is a chance to explore volcanoes and how scientists monitor them. It is also a time for girls build science confidence, camp and hike in the outdoors and work with professional women scientists. During the course of the overnight field-based camp, girls will tour Mount St. Helens, visit researchers in action, conduct a focused research project with real scientists, visit the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory and conduct a volcanic crisis mission that builds on concepts learned throughout the week. In 2022, 15 middle schoolers from Clark County, Washington will be selected for participation. This program is free of charge.
How to Apply:
STEP 1: Complete and submit your application in one of the two following ways:
Complete the online GeoGirls application OR
Complete a printable GeoGirls application. Ask your teacher to scan and send your paper application to firstname.lastname@example.org OR send your paper application by mail to:
Mount St. Helens Institute
42218 NE Yale Bridge Rd.
Amboy, WA 98601
STEP 2: Ask a teacher to complete an online Teacher Recommendation Form.
Tips for Applying:
- Be sure to complete all application materials by the deadline! This includes double-checking with your teacher to make sure they have completed your recommendation form.
- Let your personality shine! We are looking for a diverse set of GeoGirls and selections will be based on each applicant’s interest in science, social and/or financial need, and how participation in this program can benefit her. GeoGirls will be selected to develop a diverse team, reflective of the community.
- Before you begin your application, read over this criteria guide to help you understand how we will make decisions about GeoGirls selections. When you write your essays, be sure to include information about yourself that lets us know how you fit these criteria.
- The application essays are a chance for us to get to know you: what is your interest in the program and how do you think you can benefit from the program. Before you submit your application, read over your essays and ask yourself:
- Does this sound like me?
- Did I let them know why I am excited about GeoGirls?
- Did I let them know how I think GeoGirls could benefit me?
- Application essays must be written by the GeoGirl applicant herself.