Apply to be a 2017 High School Mentor
GeoGirls is a geology and technology field camp for girls. It is a chance to explore volcanoes and how scientists monitor them. It is also a time for girls build science confidence, camp and hike in the outdoors and work with professional women scientists. During the course of the overnight field-based camp, girls will tour Mount St. Helens, visit researchers in action, conduct a focused research project with real scientists, visit the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory and conduct a volcanic crisis mission that builds on concepts learned throughout the week.
What is a High School Mentor?
High School Mentors will...
participate in GeoGirls as mentors for a team of middle school GeoGirls throughout the week;
join study teams to assist with technology, keeping track of equipment and ensure data is properly managed;
participate in activities as a student leader;
and assist with all aspects of managing camp.
In 2017, 5 high school females from Oregon and Washington will be selected as High School Mentors. 2 High School Mentors will come from Clark County, WA. This program is free of charge.
APPLICATIONS OPEN: March 8, 2017
SELECTIONS ANNOUNCED: May 12, 2017 (by email)
GEOGIRLS: July 30-August 3, 2017
How to Apply:
Complete and submit your application in one of the two following ways:
Complete the online GeoGirls High School Mentor application (link will become active on March 8, 2017). You can preview the application here!
Complete this paper application and ask your teacher to scan and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org OR send your paper application by mail to:
Mount St. Helens Institute
42218 NE Yale Bridge Rd.
Amboy, WA 98601
- The application consists of:
- applicant and parent information
- a few short essays and questions
- Ask a teacher to complete an online teacher recommendation form. You can preview the teacher recommendation form here.
Tips for Applying:
- Be sure to complete all application materials by April 5! This includes double-checking with your teacher to make sure he/she has completed your recommendation form.
- Let your personality shine! We are looking for a diverse set of girls and selections will be based on each applicant’s interest in science, social and/or financial need, and how participation in this program can benefit her. Girls will be selected to develop a diverse team, reflective of the community.
- Before you begin your application, read over this criteria guide to help you understand how we will make decisions about GeoGirls selections. When you write your essays, be sure to include information about yourself that lets us know how you fit these criteria.
- The application essays are a chance for us to get to know you: what is your interest in the program and how do you think you can benefit from the program. Before you submit your application, read over your essays and ask yourself:
- Does this sound like me?
- Did I let them know why I am excited about GeoGirls?
- Did I let them know how I think GeoGirls could benefit me?
- Application essays must be written by the GeoGirl applicant herself.